Recipe by SmHerndon
This is too good to pass up! A 5-Star, I promise. It's easy and presents beautifully over my Instant Gnocchi (#113377) or a toasted baguette. A BH&G recipe.
Top Review by Larry
Found this recipe to be bland and quite greasy. Even though I cut off as much fat from the chicken as possible, it was very greasy as the fat came out in the simmering. In the reducing process at the end when the chicken was removed, the water was boiled off leaving the grease. Might be better with skinless breast fillets (less fat)???
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs meaty chicken pieces, skinned (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 cups halved fresh mushrooms (such as morel, chanterelle, shiitake ,stems removed, and/or button)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine or 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- instant gnocchi or toasted baguette, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a plastic bag combine flour, salt, and black pepper; then add chicken pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- In a 12-inch skillet brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to skillet and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits.
- Return chicken to pan and add white wine or chicken broth, broth, basil, and thyme.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and remove chicken; cover and keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium and gently boil sauce, uncovered, for 5 minutes- if desired, stir in whipping cream.
- Serve chicken and sauce over toasted baguette slices and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.