This is too good to pass up! A 5-Star, I promise. It's easy and presents beautifully over my Instant Gnocchi (#113377) or a toasted baguette. A BH&G recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2-3 lbs meaty chicken pieces, skinned (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 cups halved fresh mushrooms (such as morel, chanterelle, shiitake ,stems removed, and/or button)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- instant gnocchi or toasted baguette, sliced (optional)
- 1In a plastic bag combine flour, salt, and black pepper; then add chicken pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- 2In a 12-inch skillet brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 3Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- 4Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to skillet and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits.
- 5Return chicken to pan and add white wine or chicken broth, broth, basil, and thyme.
- 6Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 7Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and remove chicken; cover and keep warm.
- 8Increase heat to medium and gently boil sauce, uncovered, for 5 minutes- if desired, stir in whipping cream.
- 9Serve chicken and sauce over toasted baguette slices and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Smothered Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.9
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 376.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 25.3 g