Top Review by ainsleydoll
YUMMY!! My husband and I were very happy with the way this creole turned out. It is different from the way I usually make it but the flavors blended so well. Had just a hint of a sweetness in addition to the savory flavors. I liked that it was well seasoned but not hot with fire. Thanks for another winner, Nurse Di.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) jars whole mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- In the drippings, saute onions, green peppers and garlic.
- Add the next 8 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, butter, lemon juice and savory.
- Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until thoroughly heated.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in bacon.
- Serve over rice.