Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good sauce for chicken breasts or pork chops. Use creminis (brown buttons) or portabello for and extra rich sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock (home-made or use low-sodium vegetable bouillon and water)
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and sauté until they start to give off their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms and keep warm.
- Stir flour, paprika, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper into butter; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the sherry and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and return mushrooms to pan; simmer 5 minutes.
- If thinner sauce desired, add small amounts of sherry until desired consistency.
These mushrooms are amazing! I used baby bella's and white wine in place of the sherry. Loved that is was a thicker sauce and didnt spread all over the plate. The herbs were wonderful, tender mushrooms, and could easily be served for a upscale dinner party. Thank you Mike for another keeper! Made and reviewed for Kittencal's Recipe Tag Game.
I thought this mushroom sauce was great! I served it over a chicken breast, and it was just a bit strong to me, not much...just a bit. I'd half the amount of spices with chicken. I think this would make a great "gravy" for Thanksgiving with the reduced spices! I think it would be absolutely wonderful over pork as posted. I used cremini mushrooms. I also think if you switched the sherry to red wine, these would be great over a steak. Such a versatile recipe....I'm so glad I tried it. Thanks for sharing!
VERY GOOD! I used cilantro instead of marjoram as I did not have any. I made thin chicken cutlets and used the sauce as gravy and my famly went nuts over it!!!!! Thanks for the recipe will try this again with veal next time.