Recipe by sgt_pepper
Can be used to stuff a turkey, or baked in a covered casserole dish. Cooking time would be dependent on your choice. I like to use the packaged seasoned bread crumbs, and also hot Italian sausage. Use what you and your family enjoy..
Top Tweak by tamara d.
I used 1 pound of Sage sausage instead of the 2-3 tsp of Sage. I also added some grated carrots. Everyone loved it and I'm now the stuffing maker for Thanksgiving at our family dinners.
- 6 cups toasted bread cubes
- 3⁄4 lb sausage
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage, add ½ butter, celery, onions, and mushrooms.
- Sauté over low – med heat.
- add remainder of butter, and ½ can of chicken broth.
- Add in a separate bowl, or pan, the breadcrumbs.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sage.
- When vegetables are tender, add to breadcrumbs, and mix well, add remaining broth as needed to sufficiently moisten stuffing.