Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From: Maryanne Esposito - Ciao Italia------------ Mushrooms Sauce for pasta is a nice alternative to tomato sauce, and goes especially well with whole wheat fettucine. This is a rich dish, so a little goes a long way. This sauce makes enough for 1 lb. of pasta. For those of you that don't know Maryanne Esposito, let me introduce you to a marvelous cook, who cooks only "Authentic" Italian food, and it is incredible! I had the priviledge of meeting Maryanne at a woman's luncheon many years ago, and she has her own cooking show on Channel 11 in NH. She and her husband, who is a local doctor, live in the next town from where I used to live and work.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced (beech, button, cremini, shittake)
- 1⁄2 lb sweet pork sausage or 1⁄2 lb hot pork sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat fettuccine, cooked, and drained
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half & half light cream
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan, and cook the garlic until it is soft.
- Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until they begin to give off their liquid. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl, and set aside.
- Brown the pork sausage in the same pan, breaking it up with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If the sausage seems dry, add a little butter to the pan while it is cooking.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan, and mix ingredients well.
- Cover the pan and keep warm.
- Cook the fettucine as directed on the package, then drain it, and add it to the pan with the sausage mixture.
- Stir in the cream and cheese, and mix everything quickly over med-high heat, until the mixture is hot.
- Serve immediately.
This was a wonderful sauce, although I added a whole pound of sausage after reading the recipe wrong. It was really tasty! I used baby portabellos, oyster and button mushrooms in a combination. I would definitely make this again!
This was very good. I make a creamy mushroom sauce for pasta all the time but never added sausage. Great idea. When I made it I didn't pay much attention to amounts and I added some dry herbs. But I will definately make it again.
This is a lovely sauce and good for low carbers too if you leave out the pasta!! Nice blend of flavours. Thanks for posting, made for Zaar tag.