Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
From: Maryanne Esposito - Ciao Italia------------ Mushrooms Sauce for pasta is a nice alternative to tomato sauce, and goes especially well with whole wheat fettucine. This is a rich dish, so a little goes a long way. This sauce makes enough for 1 lb. of pasta. For those of you that don't know Maryanne Esposito, let me introduce you to a marvelous cook, who cooks only "Authentic" Italian food, and it is incredible! I had the priviledge of meeting Maryanne at a woman's luncheon many years ago, and she has her own cooking show on Channel 11 in NH. She and her husband, who is a local doctor, live in the next town from where I used to live and work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced (beech, button, cremini, shittake)
- 1/2 lb sweet pork sausage or 1/2 lb hot pork sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat fettuccine, cooked, and drained
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half & half light cream
- 3/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1Melt the butter in a large saute pan, and cook the garlic until it is soft.
- 2Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until they begin to give off their liquid. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl, and set aside.
- 3Brown the pork sausage in the same pan, breaking it up with a fork.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5If the sausage seems dry, add a little butter to the pan while it is cooking.
- 6Return the mushrooms to the pan, and mix ingredients well.
- 7Cover the pan and keep warm.
- 8Cook the fettucine as directed on the package, then drain it, and add it to the pan with the sausage mixture.
- 9Stir in the cream and cheese, and mix everything quickly over med-high heat, until the mixture is hot.
- 10Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Sauce - Salsa Di Funghi
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1184.2
- Calories from Fat 582
- Total Fat 64.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 197.9 mg
- Sodium 864.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 42.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet pork sausage