Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cookbook author Frances Levine created this recipe for her husband, who needed to follow a low-sodium diet. She suggests serving this over pasta with a sprinkling of Parmesan. I also like a little fresh chopped parsley. Add garlic, thyme or other seasonings, as you please, or enjoy the pure goodness of mushrooms. I use whatever dried mushrooms I have on hand.
- 7.08 g dried oyster mushroom
- 7.08 g dried portabella mushrooms
- 354.88 ml hot water
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 113.39 g fresh oyster mushroom, chopped
- 113.39 g fresh small portabella mushroom, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak the dried mushrooms in the hot water for at least 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms, rinse and chop fine.
- Strain the soaking liquid through a coffee filter and reserve.
- Melt 3 tbl butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rehydrated mushrooms and 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh mushrooms, rest of the butter and freshly ground pepper, plus more soaking liquid if it looks dry. Cover and cook about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more soaking liqiuid, if necessary. It should be moist, a little saucy, but not soupy.
- Serve with hot pasta and Parmesan cheese.
- Note: 1/4 oz of dried mushrooms is about 1/4 cup. The recipe calls for 30 minutes of soaking the dried mushrooms, but I feel you get a better result if you soak overnight.
I served this over angel hair pasta and loved it! I purchased a "gourmet blend" of dried mushrooms, and used that. I chopped these up finely, but I left the fresh mushrooms in larger pieces. So I cooked it a bit longer. Also, mine was still a little soupy, so I took 3 tbsp on the liquid out and whisked in 1 tbsp cornstarch. Then I stirred it back into the sauce, and the texture was absolutely perfect. I added garlic just as the onions were finishing, and also added some thyme and parsley. Wonderful meatless meal.