Recipe by * Pamela *
Adapted from Company's Coming Make Ahead Meals by J. Pare.
Top Review by Michelle Figueroa
My husband and I made this (with apple juice) as a make ahead sauce for meatballs for our 2008 Xmas party. We didn't get to have our party due to an emergency c-section so it sat in the freezer for about a month. We got it out and decided to serve it with meatballs over egg noodles. I just loved it and was so happy it made enough for several meals. If I remember correctly, we ended up adding a can of cream of mushroom soup to help thicken to our liking. Thanks for posting!
- 29.58 ml butter
- 473.18 ml fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml flour
- 7.39 ml chicken bouillon powder
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml apple juice or 118.29 ml white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Add mushroom and onions and sauté until soft.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer for about 4 minutes, until thickened, stirring often.
- Add meatballs and simmer until heated through.
- To freeze: Double or triple sauce and divide into 3 cup containers or freezer bags. Label and freeze for up to 3 months; Defrost in fridge overnight or in microwave; add cooked meatballs and cook or bake until heated through.