Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from Company's Coming Make Ahead Meals by J. Pare.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 473.18 ml fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml flour
- 7.39 ml chicken bouillon powder
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml apple juice or 118.29 ml white wine
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Add mushroom and onions and sauté until soft.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer for about 4 minutes, until thickened, stirring often.
- Add meatballs and simmer until heated through.
- To freeze: Double or triple sauce and divide into 3 cup containers or freezer bags. Label and freeze for up to 3 months; Defrost in fridge overnight or in microwave; add cooked meatballs and cook or bake until heated through.
My husband and I made this (with apple juice) as a make ahead sauce for meatballs for our 2008 Xmas party. We didn't get to have our party due to an emergency c-section so it sat in the freezer for about a month. We got it out and decided to serve it with meatballs over egg noodles. I just loved it and was so happy it made enough for several meals. If I remember correctly, we ended up adding a can of cream of mushroom soup to help thicken to our liking. Thanks for posting!
This is a very good sauce for meatballs. I freeze precooked meatballs and make the sauce the day I serve them. I use a spaghetti sauce, a barbecue sauce, or this sauce. It tastes best if you use the wine rather than the apple juice. Thank you for sharing.
this is a recipe that has been 'hanging out' in my 'to try' list and last night was finally the night. I used beef bouillon instead of chicken and did not use juice or wine (I had left it out of my scribbled written recipes). I was pleasantly surprised by the rich taste of it especially since I skimped on the butter and used skim milk. My only regret is that I didn't try it when the store had mushrooms for .69/8 oz package...I would have made several batches for the freezer. Thanks for sharing!