Recipe by s'kat
Admittedly, I don't have the time or proclivity to make my own stocks and demi-glaces from scratch- I use 'More Than Gourmet', and really, it's wonderful stuff. This is one of their recipes, and it's not only easy, but incredibly good. If you can't find the product in your local stores, check out morethangourmet.com. I'm not a shill, just an extremely satisfied customer.
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallots or 1⁄4 small onion (if no shallots are available)
- 2 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 ounces jus de poulet lie gold demi-glace (or your own personal base of roasted chicken stock)
- hot water (up to 5 ounces)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat and saute shallots/onions until they become translucent.
- Add the wine, then the mushrooms, and cook until most of the wine is cooked off.
- The mushrooms will also release their liquid at this time, so it will take a little while for the liquid level to reduce.
- Add the pepper and the Jus de Poulet Lie Gold, and let it melt in the pan.
- Whisk in about 1/2 of the hot water (add more if it still seems too thick at this point); taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary; simmer for about 6 minutes, or until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.