Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This rich sauce is great over steak or schnitzel.
- 4 medium size mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1 pinch sugar, if needed
- salt and pepper
- On a low heat, melt butter and add mushrooms, frying briefly.
- Add flour, stir until a paste is formed around the mushrooms with no lumps. Add more flour if paste is too liquid.
- Gradually add the beef stock, stirring.
- Add mushroom soy and red wine. Taste and add sugar if required to counter the wine, add salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low heat until reduced, stirring regularly.