Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My husband and I love mushrooms. This sauce is practically mushroom essence. It's great on pasta, with steak, pork chops, chicken or try on top of hamburgers. Note- Any mushroom varieties will work the key is to have a few different types. The optional cream I use only if serving as a pasta sauce.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lb button mushroom, diced
- 1 portabella mushroom, gills removed and diced
- 1⁄2 lb dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted and diced (save liquid)
- 1⁄2 lb oyster mushroom, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken stock, vegetable works too
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Saute mushrooms in stockpot with the butter, garlic and nutmeg. Let the mushrooms cook until soft and most of the moisture from the mushrooms has cooked out.
- Add the stock 1/2 can at a time, let reduce before adding more, repeat until all the stock is used.
- When last of the stock has been added, reduce by half and add the cream (if using). Serve as desired.