Recipe by Dib's
This makes a nice change from meat pies and can be used as a main meal or as a side dish.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons ice water
- 1 beaten eggs (, for glaze) or 1 beaten milk (, for glaze)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons salad oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 lb mushroom, chopped fine (your choice of shrooms)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 hardboiled egg, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- For Pastry--------------------.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- With 2 forks or a pastry blender cut in shortening and cream cheese until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water 1 T.at a time, stirring lightly.
- Form into a ball and wrap in waxed paper until ready to make roll.
- For Filling---------------------.
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet.
- When hot, add onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Cook until onion is soft but not brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in thyme.
- Turn mixture in to a large bowl and add eggs, crumbs, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Toss well.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Divide pastry into thirds.
- On a lightly floured surface roll a third of the dough into a rough oblong that can be trimmed into a rectangle measuring 6 inches by 12 inches.
- Save scraps for trimming if wanted.
- Spread one third of the mushroom mixture down one side of the dough leaving a 1 inch border along the length and 1/2 inch border on either end.
- Roll and crimp.
- Brush with egg mixture and trim top if wanted.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.