Recipe by Celestine
The best mushroom risotto I have ever tasted. Not at all stodgy and ideal for when having friends over. Quick to prepare so more time for socializing. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
Top Review by txkelly65
This is an aboslutely wonderful tasting mushroom risotto and was a big hit. I made it twice in three weeks. Notice the ingredient list is missing chicken stock. Use about 6 or 8 cups and put some in with the wine and then add it little by little as it gets absorbed. Also, I found the bacon / onion needed to cook longer than the 5 minutes. I like the bacon a little crisp and the bacon scrapings from the pan impart a great flavor.
- 3 ounces butter
- 12 ounces rindless smoked streaky bacon
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 4 ounces chestnut mushrooms
- 13 ounces risotto rice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 pint white wine
- 4 -6 cups chicken stock
- 3 ounces grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt half the butter in a pan. Chop bacon and fry with the onion for five minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining butter and oil to the pan.Stir fry the mushrooms for five minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add rice and garlic to pan. Cook for one minute. Add wine and bring to the boil. Simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed. Add remaining stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until absorbed.
- Return the bacon, onions and mushrooms to the pan. Heat until the rice is creamy. Stir in the cheese and basil. Serve garnished with basil leaves and extra parmesan.