Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 275 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 90 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice or 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, ground
- to taste flour
- to taste olive oil (for frying)
- 500 g tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, roughly torn
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- to taste salt
- to taste fresh pepper
- Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan and leave to simmer gently.
- In another pan, cook chopped onion and garlic with the mushrooms in 60g butter until softened.
- Add the rice, stirring with a wooden spoon for a few minutes, than add about 1/2 cup of simmering stock.
- Cook the mixture, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the stock, then stir in another 1/2 cup of stock.
- Continue this way until the rice is tender and all the stock is used, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining butter and Parmesan.
- Cool the mixture, then shape into 4 - 6 round shape patties.
- They will become quite firm.
- Dust with flour and fry in olive oil in a large frying pan on both sides for about 5 minutes each side, until golden.
- Serve with fresh tomato sauce and whatever vegetables takes your fancy.
- Chop the tomatoes into small chunks.
- Place in a large bowl, add garlic, basil and oil.
- Just before using, put into a saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes.