Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the ultimate in comfort food. MMMMmmmmm.
- 8 cups broth (I use mushroom)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Bring the broth to a simmer. Keep the broth warm over very low heat.
- Melt the butter.
- Add olive oil.
- Add the onions and saute until brown.
- Add the white mushrooms and garlic.
- Saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and let it toast for a few minutes.
- Add the vinegar; cook until it is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of hot broth.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed about 3 minutes. Stir often.
- Keep adding 1 cup and repeat untill rice is tender and mixture is creamy.
- Total time is about 28 minutes (the rice will absorb 6 to 8 cups of broth).
- Add parsley right before cooked.
- Mix in the Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
I had to substitute champagne for the white balsamic vinegar. Excellent! This recipe lends itself to a hugh number of variations as I have made it several times now. Once I even added shredded swiss chard - delicious!
i have made this twice now and it is amazing! i usually double the amount of mushrooms - using a basket of white and a basket and a half of baby bellas - and cut back on the parm. a little. so delicious and worth the time to make! thanks for posting a great recipe!
This was a wonderful risotto! The only thing I changed was that I used roasted garlic, which I had left over from a meal the night before.