Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this at another web site and after making a few adjustments decided to post it. It is very simple and easy. You choose the type of mushrooms you would like to use. I used dried shiitake that had been reconstituted. Delicious!
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium size saucepan, place the chicken broth and saffron.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter with the olive oil and sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice; cook and stir until golden.
- Add the heated stock 1 cup at a time, simmering and stirring occasionally until each cup is absorbed.
- After last cup of stock has been added, cover the saucepan and allow to simmer stirring frequently until rice is creamy and stock has been absorbed.
- Adjust the seasoning to suit your personal taste, add parsley and stir well.
- Top with grated cheese and serve.
I used more mushrooms, to use up 2# I got at Costco, and more chicken stock. 28 oz store bought and some leftovers from Kittencal's Best Chicken Stock/Broth (Crock Pot Option), (about 5 cups stock) Not my first time making risotto so I made sure to heat extra broth, and glad I did. Drizzled with truffle oil. Thank you for posting PaulaG.
Thanks for a great recipe, fairly standard risotto- I make a version of this at least once a fortnight. I do use at least 1/2 cup dry white wine, and add a little lemon juice and a knob of butter just before serving to bring out the richness and add some zing.
This was my first time making risotto and it was delicious! The instructions were wonderful! I cooked this with Classic Entrecote Bordelaise - Steak in Red Wine With Shallots and my husband said the meal was restaurant quality and I should make sure I write everything down exactly how I made it so I could repeat it. (huge compliment from him)! Saffron was $17 at my grocery store so I opted to omit that though I'm sure it's a wonderful addition! I added 1 tbsp of Herb Ox Chicken Bouillon to 3 cups of water for the chicken broth. We also didn't top with the parmesan cheese since we thought it tasted perfect already. Thank you for an absolutely delicious recipe!