Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from "The Lady and Sons" Recipe book. This is very filling and great for cold days! I hope you enjoy it, I loved it!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup raw long-grain rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef consomme
- Heat butter in a skillet.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and saute for 3 more minutes, keep stirring.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
- If it seems dry half way during cooking add a little bit of boiling water.
I had this at a friend's house tonight, and it is delicious! Thank you for posting~
This is a great and very easy side dish. It's definitely not overpowering in flavor, but a warm, creamy, filling, yummy addition to a grilled steak dinner.
I made this last night, using the rice I had on hand, which was a short grain, risotto type. The only difference that made is that the casserole was probably even more creamy than usual. This was so, so delicious! I found that I did have to add some liquid partway through (again, may have been the type of rice) and used the last 1/2 cup of white wine left from another recipe; think I'll do this everytime. I'd also like to try this next time using a mix of wild mushroom varieties. (used white button this time) In any case, this is a recipe I'll be making many, many times. Great just for me at supper and also great for company (m-m-m-m alongside a nice rare roast or steaks!) Thanks for sharing such a wonderfully easy and scrumptious recipe, littlePirate!