Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this recipe in an old cook book I have. It looks really good and I wanted to post it here to share. I have not made this recipe yet, but I am going to try it out real soon! My DH LOVES rice and mushrooms both, so it looks like the perfect dish for my family! Besides, anything with cream cheese in it can't be BAD, right?
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring water and 1 tsp salt to boil in a medium pan.
- Add rice and stir.
- Cover, reduce heat and let rice cook for 20 to 25 minutes till done and liquid is absorbed; set aside.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms in butter in a small skillet until tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese in a small bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add rice, mushroom mixture, evaporated milk and salt.
- Stir well to combine.
Quite tasty! Sort of a savory rice pudding, with a creamy, cheesy flavor and lots of mushrooms. I used light cream cheese and fat free evaporated milk with good results. Not the most attractive, possibly due to the FF evap milk, but still a nice side dish with dinner. Thanks, Theresa, for sharing the recipe!
I recieved many compliments! It was very, very tasty though it could use more salt & some pepper in the recipe. This is very good & highly reccomended!
I cooked this last night for supper and had the neighbors over. We all really enjoyed it. The four of us almost demolished it!!! It received raves from us. Already have the mushrooms chopped and planning to have it again! Thanks Teresa P!