Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 lb mushroom (small)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (340 ml) jar roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint, Crushed
- 10 ounces oka cheese or 10 ounces port du salut cheese
- 3 tablespoons sweet mustard
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Trim and quarter mushrooms; place on 17- x 11-inch (45 x 29 cm) rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with vinegar and half each of the salt and pepper; toss to coat mushrooms evenly.
- Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender and liquid is evaporated.
- Let cool slightly.
- Drain red peppers; pat dry with paper towels.
- Chop and place in large bowl.
- Add half of the bread crumbs, the honey, mint and remaining salt and pepper; toss to combine. Cut rind from cheese; shred and add to bowl along with mushrooms.
- Toss again; set aside. (Filling can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day; stir before using.) Blend mustard with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside. Layer 3 sheets of phyllo on work surface; cover remaining phyllo with waxed paper or plastic wrap, then damp towel, to prevent drying out. Using sharp knife and 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pan or cardboard template as guide, cut out 2 circles from each sheet, discarding trimmings.
- Place 2 circles side by side on work surface. Brush each lightly with mustard mixture. Top each with second circle; brush lightly with butter.
- Top each with remaining circles; brush again with mustard.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the bread crumbs in centre of each.
- Top crumbs with heaping 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the filling.
- Fold 1 edge of phyllo to centre over filling.
- Grasp point at edge of circle where first fold begins; fold point over filling into centre, forming pleat. Continue folding phyllo over filling, overlapping pleats but leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) diameter steam vent in centre; press to seal.
- Place on parchment paper-lined or greased baking sheet. Brush all over with egg white. Repeat to make 8 puffs.
- (Puffs can be refrigerated for up to 12 hours.
- Or freeze, then wrap each in plastic wrap and foil and store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks; increase baking time by 5 minutes.) Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- VARIATION Mushroom Prosciutto: Omit red pepper, honey and mint. Increase mushrooms to 2 lb (1 kg). Increase red wine vinegar to 1/4 cup (50 mL). Cook mushrooms for 40 to 45 minutes. Add 1/4 lb (125 g) chopped prosciutto or thinly sliced ham to filling. Omit bread crumbs in filling; sprinkle about 1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs among phyllo circles. Top each with 1 cup (250 mL) filling.