Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Everyday Italian
Make and share this Mushroom Ragu recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, chopped (cremini, oyster, shiitake)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large skillet heat the oil. When almost smoking, add the onions and garlic over medium-low heat until the onions have wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Raise heat to high and saute until mushrooms are tender and all the liquid has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and pour in Marsala.
- Return pan to stove and allow wine to evaporate, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer for 1/2 hour until the sauce has reduced by half. Add heavy cream and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the fresh herbs and Parmesan and mix thoroughly.
After my fond memories of this dish from college and the high reviews I was really looking forward to a 5 star dish. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get it. Next time I make this I plan to use larger pieces of mushrooms, less parsley and some shredded mozzarella cheese to melt into the sauce.
Definitely 5 stars. Clear, easy to follow recipe. Excellent over steamed rice. Halved for 2 people, used 2 medium size pine mushrooms, and a small zucchini, sliced thin. Used a slosh of heavy cream, a splash of brandy along with 1/3 cup white wine. An inventive, innovative recipe. The bottle of wine opened for use in the preparation didn't last beyond the meal itself. Look forward to making this again, this time with an abundance of mixed mushrooms. Thanks so much for posting.