Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
From Everyday Italian
Top Review by Mhauck
After my fond memories of this dish from college and the high reviews I was really looking forward to a 5 star dish. Unfortunately, I didn't quite get it. Next time I make this I plan to use larger pieces of mushrooms, less parsley and some shredded mozzarella cheese to melt into the sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, chopped (cremini, oyster, shiitake)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat the oil. When almost smoking, add the onions and garlic over medium-low heat until the onions have wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Raise heat to high and saute until mushrooms are tender and all the liquid has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and pour in Marsala.
- Return pan to stove and allow wine to evaporate, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer for 1/2 hour until the sauce has reduced by half. Add heavy cream and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the fresh herbs and Parmesan and mix thoroughly.