We really enjoy this and I've also made it when my vegetarian neice or friend came over. This is a great meal but can also be a side. I got this recipe from the a newspaper clipping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, fresh
- 2 basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes, dried
- 1 lb mushroom, assorted like cremini oyster white, chantrelles, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated fontana cheese
- 1Mushroom Ragout:.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- 3Add garlic, shallot, parsley, basil and dried pepper flakes and saute until garlic and shallots are a light yellow color (about 3 min).
- 4Add mushrooms and toss.
- 5Pour wine or water over mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Turn down heat to low, cover and stir occasionaally until mushrooms are reduced and water has been completely absorbed (about 20 min).
- 7While mushrooms are simmering start the polenta.
- 8Stir in fontina cheese and stir until cheese has melted.
- 10Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a dutchoven and add the chopped onion and saute until transulsant.
- 11Pour in the 3 cups of broth add the salt and bring to a boil.
- 12Pour in the cornmeal stirring constantly.
- 13Reduce heat to low and cook 20 minutes stirring often.
- 14Stir in cheese.
- 15Quickly turn into a large shallow bowl.
- 16Pour mushroom mixture over top, and sprinkle with additional parsley.
- 17Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Ragout over Soft Polenta (Italian)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.1
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 698.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: