Recipe by wanbchef
I was lucky enough to get this recipe from Cuisine At Home email mailing. Something filling and different for a meat-free dinner. Total cooking timing includes prep, makes 2 cups of ragù and 2 cups of polenta. PLEASE NOTE: for some reason that amount of shallots is not showing up; should read 1/4 cup shallots!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, sliced
- 1 lb assorted mushroom, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- salt and pepper
For the Polenta
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, cubed (1 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté shallots for the ragù 1 T. oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until soft. Increase heat to high, add half the mushrooms, and sauté until browned; remove from pan. Sauté mushrooms in batches so they brown well. Resist stirring them too much, the longer the contact with the pan, the better the browning. Add additional tablespoon of oil to the pan and sauté remaining mushrooms, then return the reserved mushrooms to the pan.
- Add tomatoes, broth, sherry, vinegar, and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with herbs and seasonings. While the ragù simmers, make the polenta.
- Bring broth, cream, and seasonings to a boil for the polenta in a saucepan. Whisk in cornmeal; reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Fold in cheeses before serving.
- Place polenta on plate, topped with mushrooms ragu.