Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I adore Julia's recipes but tend to simplify them by omitting some of the details and using less butter. I also use milk instead of cream and find it rich enough for my taste. When I make this dish, I usually omit the crust (the "gratin" version).
- 1 (8 inch) pastry shells (for quiche)
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons green onions or 2 tablespoons yellow onions or 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (orig recipe used cream, can even use skim milk)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese
- To partly bake the pastry shell: Bake in middle of oven at 400 degrees F. for 8-9 minutes.
- To make the mushroom filling:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place oven rack in upper third of oven.
- Saute mushrooms in butter until they exude their juices, the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are starting to brown slightly.
- Mix together mushrooms, onion, salt and lemon juice; set aside.
- Beat together eggs, milk, nutmeg and pepper. Gradually stir in mushroom mixture. Check seasoning.
- Pour into pastry shell. Sprinkle cheese on top. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until puffed and browned.
What can I say, Julia Child ,Wonderful .Very easy to make .I used baby bella mushrooms and cream.Very rich and satisfying,all you need is a nice salad to go with this.Thank you so much for posting.