Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found this in a taste of home magazine which was shared by Ruth Andrewson. It's a great Sunday morning brunch and love that it can be made ahead and frozen.
- 1 pastry shells, deep dish, unbaked (9 inches)
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bake pastry shell as directed. Remove and let cool.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large skillet, saute mushrooms, onion, and red pepper in butter until mushrooms are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cheese and flour. Stir in milk, eggs, savory, salt and cayenne until blended.
- Stir in the mushroom mixture.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (cover edges loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.