Recipe by Manami
Another comfort food! I have wanted mushroom quiche for awhile now and this one turned out wonderfully.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lb assorted mushroom, quartered or sliced (any "or" all)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use a 10"x1-1/2" round tart pan(with or w/out removable bottom).
- Prick pastry shell on bottom with fork.
- Meanwhile, heat butter, margarine or oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shallots, and cook stirring, until translucent but not brown, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms first release their liquid and then liquid evaporates and mushrooms are golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet to catch any run-off there might be(especially if you are using a pan with a removable bottom.).
- Sprinkle half the cheeses evenly over the bottom crust.
- Spread mushrooms over the cheeses and then top with remaining cheeses.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, cream, and eggs.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over cheeses.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Transfer to oven, and bake until just set in the center, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes before slicing.