Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe and the following description come from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook. Few recipes could be simpler or prepared in shorter time. This quantity makes two individual soufflé dishes and is perfect for a light lunch or supper.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60 g butter
- 250 g mushrooms, diced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 slices whole grain bread, crusts removed, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F)
- In a stainless steel or enamel saucepan, melt the butter, add onion and grlic and cook over low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the diced mushrooms, stir over medium heat for 2 mins, or until soft. Season to taste with a good grinding each of salt & black pepper.
- Beat the eggs briskly, stir in the milk, and leave the diced bread to soak in the mixture for 10 minutes.
- add the mushroom mixture and mix well, adjust seasoning, then divide between two buttered soufflé dishes.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until well puffed, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve warm, accompanied by a green salad.