Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great make ahead brunch dish. I always opt for 1 pound of mushrooms rather than 1/2 pound. I love mushrooms!
- 1⁄2-1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices bread
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Saute mushrooms in 2 to 3 Tablespoons butter until slightly browned.
- Place in a buttered 2-quart casserole.
- Brush 4 of the bread slices with melted butter.
- Trim the crusts and cut eht bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Top the mushrooms with half the bread cubes.
- Combine onion, green pepper, celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and spoon over bread.
- Top with the remaining bread buttered bread cubes.
- Combine eggs and milk; pour over bread.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Brush the 2 remaining bread slices with butter, cube and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Top with cheese and return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts.