1 hr 15 mins
This is a delicious mushroom appetizer/side dish that pairs well with a variety of foods and is simple to make. I first tried the dish at my mother-in-law's, and she adapts the dish every time she throws it together. Serve at room temp or slightly warm, and pairs deliciously with fresh spring onions/scallions on the side. (Cooking time is inactive time--dish is baking in the oven.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 ounces mixed mushrooms (e.g. white and or or baby bellas)
- 1 medium red pepper
- 6 bunches scallions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch dill (or 1 tbsp dried dill)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for sauteing)
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (for greasing the pan)
- salt and pepper
- 1Roughly chop the mushrooms into a large dice (uneven is fine). Dice the red pepper, the scallions, and the dill. Using a microplane, "zest" the garlic (or finely dice if you don't have a microplane).
- 2Saute the mushrooms until they release most of their juice (and salt and pepper to taste). Then add the red pepper and scallion whites to the pan and continue to saute until softened (and salt and pepper to taste). Then toss in the scallion greens, dill, and garlic and stir to combine (and salt and pepper to taste). Remove the pan from the stove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, and mozzarella. Stir in the sauteed mixture until thoroughly combined.
- 4With olive oil, grease an 8 x 8 pyrex. Pour mixture into pyrex. Cook at 350 until pudding is set and top has browned (center will not be as brown as edges) (usually about 50 minutes).
- 5Allow to cool to room temp before slicing.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Pudding (Or Crustless Mushroom Quiche)
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.3 mg
- Sodium 41.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low fat mozzarella