Recipe by jo_mama
This is a delicious mushroom appetizer/side dish that pairs well with a variety of foods and is simple to make. I first tried the dish at my mother-in-law's, and she adapts the dish every time she throws it together. Serve at room temp or slightly warm, and pairs deliciously with fresh spring onions/scallions on the side. (Cooking time is inactive time--dish is baking in the oven.)
- 24 ounces mixed mushrooms (e.g. white and or or baby bellas)
- 1 medium red pepper
- 6 bunches scallions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch dill (or 1 tbsp dried dill)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for sauteing)
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (for greasing the pan)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roughly chop the mushrooms into a large dice (uneven is fine). Dice the red pepper, the scallions, and the dill. Using a microplane, "zest" the garlic (or finely dice if you don't have a microplane).
- Saute the mushrooms until they release most of their juice (and salt and pepper to taste). Then add the red pepper and scallion whites to the pan and continue to saute until softened (and salt and pepper to taste). Then toss in the scallion greens, dill, and garlic and stir to combine (and salt and pepper to taste). Remove the pan from the stove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, and mozzarella. Stir in the sauteed mixture until thoroughly combined.
- With olive oil, grease an 8 x 8 pyrex. Pour mixture into pyrex. Cook at 350 until pudding is set and top has browned (center will not be as brown as edges) (usually about 50 minutes).
- Allow to cool to room temp before slicing.