Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from Taste of Home Guilt Free Cooking cookbook. These are great burgers. We enjoyed them.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a small skillet coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms and onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; saute 1-2 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, basil, egg white, parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 6 patties.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill patties, covered, over medium-hot heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat juices run clear. Top patties with cheese and the tomato sauce. Serve over buns.
I had some mushrooms that were just beginning to age and this was an excellent way to use them. The sauce is flavorful and the burgers very moist and yummy. I chopped the mushrooms going into the burger rather small so that they would be easier to mix into the meat and that worked well for me. They were a tad messy with dripping sauce but that part of the fun? :D
This is very good and my family enjoyed it. Love the addition of mushrooms!