Recipe by Chef mariajane
Here is a fresh and crunchy salad filling for a low-fat sandwich. For a totable lunch, pack the salad separately in a plastic container and fill pitas just before eating. Just simply delicious!! I found this recipe in our local newspaper.
Top Review by loof
Great quick, easy and light recipe! I don't care for raw onion so left them out and used mozzarella cheese. I think these would also be great heated up so the cheese could melt a bit. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
- 12 ounces medum mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup no-fat herb salad dressing or 3⁄4 cup Italian dressing
- 4 pita bread, cut in half (6-7 inches in diameter)
- 8 small lettuce leaves
- fresh herb (such as dill, coriander, basil or oregano) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, red pepper, cucumber, onion, cheese. Add dressing. Toss to mix well.
- Open pita halves and place lettuce leaf in each pita half. Spon filling evenly into the pita halves. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
- Variation: Spread 1 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise inside each pita half.