Recipe by Nana Lee
Russian version of Pierogi apps. Quick, easy, and "freezable"! The size of the piecrust pkg is a guess. I'd use something like Jiffy piecrust mix. Also, if you have a potsticker former, you can use it to cut and fold these.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg yolk, chopped
FOR THE PASTRY
- 1 (8 ounce) package pie crust mix, crumpled (or 2 pie crust sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In medium skillet, saute onions in butter just until tender.
- Add mushrooms; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and egg yolk; cool.
- In medium bowl, combine pie crust mix and sour cream; mix until ball forms.
- Divide in half; roll half lightly on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into rounds with 3-inch cookie cutter.
- Spoon about 1 tsp filling onto half of circle.
- Moisten edges of pastry with water; fold half circle over and press edges with fork.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- TO MAKE AHEAD:.
- Piroshkies can be frozen on cookie sheet before baking, then place in plastic bags.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-18 minutes.