Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was made entirely from leftovers I had in the fridge last night. I'm a sucker for NEVER letting anything go bad in the fridge, especially yummy leftover veggies like mushrooms, red peppers, scallion and juicy pineapple! Simmering the tempeh cubes in some tamari or soy sauce gives the cubes a real rich flavor. I might add a drop or two of liquid smoke next time.
- Cut the block of tempeh into 1/2 " cubes.
- In a small sauce pan add soy sauce, tempeh cubes and enough water or broth to cover the cubes.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the canola oil over medium heat, add mushrooms, red pepper, and white parts of scallion, and saute until mushrooms shrink a bit.
- Toss in the pineapple and simmered tempeh cubes.
- Finally add cooked riced, sesame oil (to taste) and either add a splash of tamari, or the extra liquid and broth from the simmered tempeh.
- Check for seasoning and add white pepper if desired, top with green parts of scallion and serve.