Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Savory and rich. A meal in itself.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 8 cups coarsely chopped cremini mushrooms (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into cubes, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add 2 stick of butter and cut in with back of fork until coarse meal forms. Add sour cream, stir until dough comes together. Shape dough into disk; divide into 2 pieces, 1 about 2/3 of dough and 1 about 1/3 of dough. Roll out larger piece on lightly floured surface to 14" round. Transfer to 10" glass pie dish; trim overhang to 1". Roll out smaller piece to 12" round. Slide onto rimless baking sheet; cut into 1" wide strips. Chill crust in dish and dough srips on sheet at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until soft and golden, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme. Saute until mushrooms are tender and release juices, about 6 minutes.
- Add cream cheese to warm fillinf and stir until melted. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spoon filling into crust in dish. Place dough strips atop filling in lattice pattern. Fold strip ends and overhang under. Crimp edge. Brush lattice with egg glaze. Bake pie until crust is golden brown and filling is heated through, about 45 minutes. Cool pie 30 minutes.