Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1 thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, cut into small cubes (about 5 ounces)
- Heat oil in a 10-inch, oven-safe skillet or sauté pan.
- Add onion and pepper; sauté over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, cover, and sauté 3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add garlic, and sauté 1 additional minute. Remove vegetable mixture from heat, and transfer to a plate to cool briefly. Wipe pan with paper towels, and return to stove.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, pepper, and basil in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended; set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes and add butter, swirling pan to melt butter evenly.
- Add vegetables to egg mixture in bowl, stir, and carefully pour entire mixture into heated skillet.
- Scatter cherry tomatoes and cheese over egg mixture (do not stir).
- Cook frittata gently over medium-low heat 15-18 minutes or untilit is cooked most of the way through.
- To finish cooking the top, preheat broiler and place the frittata about 6-8 inches from heat for 2-4 minutes (watch frittata carefully to ensure that it doesn't burn).
- 4. Remove frittata from oven, cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and shake pan rapidly back and forth to loosen. Cool a few more minutes, then carefully put a plate over the frittata and invert it onto the plate. Invert it again onto another plate so the frittata is right side up. Refrigerate until ready to serve.