Recipe by Sassy Syrah
This was in the Better Homes and Gardens Twelve Days of Christmas Special. I made it for New Years Eve and it was a huge success.. Served with the walnut toast, it is an excellent appetizer. Perfect with a pre-dinner drink. The magazine suggested it might be a good gift, but I didn't try it that way.
- 500 g mushrooms
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 3 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup brandy (I use Grand Marnier)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices white bread
- 60 g butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
- Do not put them anywhere near water.
- Trim stalks if necessary.
- Slice thinly.
- Heat half of the butter in a heavy duty saucepan.
- Once foaming, add half of the onion and garlic.
- Saute until onions are slightly golden.
- Add half mushrooms, brandy and rosemary.
- Cook over medium heat until most of the brandy has evaporated and the mushrooms have a nice brown colour.
- Remove and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining, butter, onions, garlic, mushrooms, brandy and rosemary.
- Place mushroom mixture, nutmeg and seasoning in a food processor.
- Blitz until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Spoon into dishes or jars.
- Chill quite well before use.
- For the Walnut Toast: Preheat oven to 180C Remove crust from bread.
- Roll out bread with rolling pin until thin.
- Slice each piece into 3 sections.
- Brush each piece with butter on both sides.
- Place in a single layer on a baking tray lined with foil.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts and salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.