Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Makes a great veggie centrepiece for Christmas and goes well with all the traditional extras.
Make and share this Mushroom Pate En Croute recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 225 g ground cashews
- 225 g ground almonds
- 225 g whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract, e.g. vegemite
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- Heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- in a large saucepan heat the oil and fry the onions for 7 minutes. add garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Tip everything into a blender and puree.
- Place in a bowl the cashews, almonds, breadcrumbs, mushroom puree, soy, lemon juice, taragon and yeast extract. Mix very well.
- Roll out the pastry to make a 15 inch/38cm square. Transfer to a baking sheet and place the pate in the middle.
- Fold the remaining pastry around the outside and trim the ends.
- You can use scraps of pastry to make decorations or put slits in the unwrapped pastry to create a "plait" effect.
- Brush the whole parcel with the egg and bake for 40 minutes.