Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a delicious vegetarian pate. Easy to make too. Requires overnight refrigeration.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3 celery ribs, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 lbs mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- cracker, as an accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 x 5 x 2 ½ inch glass loaf pan.
- In a very large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat until foam subsides and saute onion, scallion, celery and garlic, stirring, for 6 minutes, or until vegetables are softened and lightly golden.
- Increase heat to high and add mushrooms in batches, stirring after each addition to combine.
- Add walnuts, basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary and salt and pepper and cook until all liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in cream cheese and combine well.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Puree in processor until smooth (in 2 batches if necessary).
- Add breadcrumbs and eggs and puree until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Wrap pan completely in wax paper and foil and bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Let cool slightly (do not unwrap) and chill overnight.
- Discard paper.
- Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert onto serving dish.
- Serve with crackers.
OoOh! This was worth the effort! The taste is wonderful! All the herb flavors with the cream cheese, yummmmmmm! Thanks for a great recipe evelyn!