Recipe by Jainagirl
This recipe is based on one from Rachael Ray, but I changed it around quite a bit to suite our tastes and what I had on hand. Anyway, this works on its own as a main dish or as a side dish with beef or chicken. It's quite hearty!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We are mushroom lovers and this pilaf was really delicious. Made as directed with the exception that I left out the arugula salad. We did; however, serve this dish with a separate side salad and it made a really nice light dinner. Made for Spring PAC, 2014.
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 5 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced, Vidalia preferred
- 2 garlic cloves, put through press
- 1 lb thin spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces, Barilla preferred
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 1⁄4 ounces slivered almonds, toasted in a dry skillet over medium-low heat
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced and juice strained
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saute pan with a tight-fitting cover, sauté broken pasta in aabout 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-low heat until golden. Remove and reserve.
- Add onion and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and saute until tender and liquid they give off cooks off.
- Season mixture to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add broth and 1 cup plain water, worcestershire sauce and wine. Stir until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes. If pasta is not al dente at end of cooking time, add 1/2 cup water and cook, covered, until absorbed. If some liquid remains, uncover and reduce over medium heat, stirring often, until liquid is evaporated.
- Just before serving, drizzle greens with about 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil and 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice to taste. Toss very gently.
- Serve pasta in bowls, topped with dressed greens and sprinkled with toasted almonds. Optional: Sprinkle with grated blend of parmesan and romano cheese.