This recipe comes from the wonderful book "Mon premier dîner végétarien" by Alice Hart, which I was gifted for my bday a couple of weeks ago. It makes for a rich, yet not overly heavy pasta gratin that is perfect for entertaining or just for indulging by yourself. :) I made a few modifications from the original recipe and this was the result. I hope youll like it as much as we do. If you like, try other vegetables or herbs and spices to vary this according to your taste.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 300 g brown button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (or mixed mushrooms)
- 1 onion, chopped (half of it comes from the bechamel sauce if using my recipe)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1.23 ml dried rubbed sage
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml chili powder
- 250 g penne pasta, cooked according to package directions (whole wheat is fine)
- 1 mozzarella cheese, ball cubed (low-fat works fine)
- 44.37 ml camembert cheese, cubed (low-fat works fine)
- 500 ml bechamel sauce (recommended Basic Béchamel Sauce With Lots of Flavour)
- 73.94 ml cheese, grated (I used a mix of 4 cheeses, use your favourite)
- In a frying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, onion and garlic. Fry until slightly browned. Add sage, rosemary, black pepper and chilli powder. Set aside.
- In your baking dish (it should hold about 1.5 l/6 cups) combine mushroom mixture, pasta, mozzarella and camembert.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over it and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned on top and sauce is bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.