Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I like to make this in the evening when I'm in the need for some comfort food!
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms or 1 cup other mushroom
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- In small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Bring water to boil in medium pan.
- Gradually add cornmeal, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and soupy.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until mixture is as thick as cooked oatmeal.
- Stir in cheese and half-and-half.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.
I used sliced button mushrooms in mine. Good flavor, made a nice side dish to some grilled chicken.
Excellent. I added a little Stilton Cheese -- it really picked up the flavor. I used 1% milk, also, with terrific results. Thank you.
Delicious. It's not too cheesy but cheesy enough. There's a good balance of the ingredients. At first I thought it was a bit bland, but after eating it for a few moments I liked it more and more. I think initially I wasn't sure what to expect. My husband loved it on his first bite. Now I can't wait to eat more! I would certainly recommend this recipe to others.
Some things I did different: I used polenta rather than cornmeal (not sure if there's a difference). I cooked it with milk instead of water. I made it in the oven as I saw someone else comment in another recipe that it's easier (375F, covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes). I also doubled the recipe and it turned out fine.