I found this on Napa Style and it is delicious! Don't let the long laundry list frighten you, they are a lot of steps that can be done ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced in 3/4-inch pieces crusts removed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground coarse black pepper
ROASTED ONION PUREE
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon finely mince fresh thyme
- 2 ounces Baby Spinach or 2 ounces baby arugula
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup celery heart (sliced thinly on the diagonal, plus some more of the chopped leaves)
- 2Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- 3Place the bread cubes in large bowl.
- 4In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over moderate heat.
- 5Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute, then add thyme.
- 6Pour over breadcrumbs and stir immediately.
- 7Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and toss well.
- 8Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- 9Spread on baking sheet, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until light brown.
- 10Return them to the large bowl and set aside.
- 11ROASTED ONION PURÉE:.
- 12Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- 13Layer 1/2" of kosher salt in a shallow baking pan.
- 14Place the onions in the pan and roast, turning occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 15-18 minutes.
- 15Place the roasted onions and the broth into a blender and purée; set aside.
- 17In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- 18Add the mushrooms and sauté until fully cooked and well browned.
- 19TO ASSEMBLE:.
- 20Add the mushrooms and roasted onion purée to the croutons, and toss well to coat.
- 21Add the oil, vinegar, Parmesan and thyme.
- 22Mix well.
- 23Arrange the spinach or arugula, onions and celery on serving platter.
- 24Drizzle with red wine vinegar and oil.
- 25season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 26Top with crouton mixture, and garnish with additional Parmesan, as desired.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Panzanella
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.0
- Calories from Fat 567
- Total Fat 63.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 1102.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 26.3 g