Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this on Napa Style and it is delicious! Don't let the long laundry list frighten you, they are a lot of steps that can be done ahead.
- 1 lb loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced in 3/4-inch pieces crusts removed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground coarse black pepper
ROASTED ONION PUREE
- kosher salt
- 3 whole onions, peeled
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb mushroom, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more for drizzling
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon finely mince fresh thyme
- 2 ounces Baby Spinach or 2 ounces baby arugula
- 1⁄4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup celery heart (sliced thinly on the diagonal, plus some more of the chopped leaves)
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Place the bread cubes in large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over moderate heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute, then add thyme.
- Pour over breadcrumbs and stir immediately.
- Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and toss well.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spread on baking sheet, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until light brown.
- Return them to the large bowl and set aside.
- ROASTED ONION PURÉE:.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Layer 1/2" of kosher salt in a shallow baking pan.
- Place the onions in the pan and roast, turning occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 15-18 minutes.
- Place the roasted onions and the broth into a blender and purée; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until fully cooked and well browned.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Add the mushrooms and roasted onion purée to the croutons, and toss well to coat.
- Add the oil, vinegar, Parmesan and thyme.
- Mix well.
- Arrange the spinach or arugula, onions and celery on serving platter.
- Drizzle with red wine vinegar and oil.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with crouton mixture, and garnish with additional Parmesan, as desired.