Toasted orzo pasta cooked like risotto with mushrooms and pine nuts. Serve as a side dish, or a main dish with a nice salad and bread.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, chopped in big chunks (mixed)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground pepper
- Heat garlic and olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- When garlic "speaks", add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook mushrooms until brown and all the liquid has evaporated.
- In the mean time, toast orzo in a separate pan over medium heat, until light golden.
- When mushrooms are cooked, add sage, thyme, and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add orzo, reduce heat to med-low.
- Cook until broth is absorbed (about 15 minutes) and orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Add pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and parsley. Heat through until parmesan is melted and absorbed into the orzo.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve immediately, with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.