Recipe by EmJoMay
We love this recipe. It's fast, easy, tastes good, and is healthy. I found it on one of my favorite blogs, CuisineNie (aka nieniedialogues.blogspot.com), but, since CuisineNie is now closed, I thought I'd put this recipe back out there. The amounts of onion, mushrooms, garlic, spinach, vinegar, and cheese are all approximate and should be altered according to your tastes. The recipe is pretty flexible; you can use different types of mustard, cheese, etc.. We like this served with canned Progresso lentil soup.
- 1 large onion
- 12 ounces fresh sliced white mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to tase
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Chop onion and mince garlic.
- 2. Heat oil in large frying pan and add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until soft.
- 3. Meanwhile, toast bread and spread mayonnaise and mustard on toasted bread slices.
- 4. Remove pan from heat and add spinach and balsamic vinegar to pan. Stir until spinach wilts.
- 5. Divide sautéed mixture evenly onto three slices of bread. Evenly divide cheese onto each of these slices of bread (on top of mushroom mixture). Top with the remaining slices of bread.