Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Impressive looking sliced omelette!! Looks great on a brunch table, or just served with toast. Pass the salsa to top it. adapted from Canadian Living mag.
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk (i use 2%)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Line bottom of 13 x 9 inch metal cake pan with parchment or waxed paper; grease paper and sides of pan.
- Set aside.
- In bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt, pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in 400f degree oven for 10 minutes or until centre is firm when touched.
- Meanwhile, in nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium high heat; cook red pepper, mushrooms, thyme and pepper, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in onions.
- Invert egg onto work surface; peel off paper.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese; spread mushroom mixture over top.
- Starting at narrow end, roll up jello roll style.
- Return omelette roll to cake pan; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Slice crosswise to serve.
What an attractive way to serve an omelette! The thyme gives just a little extra bit of flavor. One thing I did was to use a bakers sheet (that thingamabob that prevents things from browning too much on th bottom) under the jellyroll pan so the omeletter would not cook too much on the bottom and i removed it from the oven as soon as the omelette was firm on top. I used parchment paper which came off like a breeze. I chopped the mushrooms and peppers quite finely to facilitate the rolling. The finishing touch with the cheese over top & broiled gives wonder eye appeal Another winner Derf Thanks New Year 09-10 Made this again cutting it back to 7 appies. Because I was making so few I cooked the omelet in a pan, Took it out very carefully, made the roll, wrapped it in plastice and put it in the fridge all day. Then I cut the roll, fastened each piece with a tooth pick, turn each on it's side, put cheese on each piece and broiled for apprx 7 minutes just before serving. WONDERFUL Oh I added some roasted grlic. It's a winner Der!
Even the kids liked it. We added sausage with the mushrooms, and substituted mozzerella cheese for the cheddar. Yum.