Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
i guess this is considered a jewish dish we've eaten forever, i can't believe i didn't post this years ago. toasted noodle barley is a pasta that is barley shaped, you can find it in the kosher section of your supermarket, usually with the manichewitz products.
- heat a saute pan on hi, add 2 tbsp oil , swirl in pan, add onions, stir.
- stir again after 2-3 minutes, add mushrooms and garlic, saute until softened, stirring after a few minutes.
- move to the side of the pan, add 1 tbsp oil and add toasted noodle barley,.
- cook on hi heat until coated on both sides and starting to sizzle.
- add thyme, salt, pepper, and broth.
- bring to boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, mixture should dry when it's done, like kasha.
Thank you for this recipe, chia! It was easy to make and delicious and I'll certainly make it again. I made it with homemade chicken stock and probably double the number of mushrooms - and I used several different mushrooms, including some Swiss browns - because I love mushrooms. The leftovers also heated successfully next day in the microwave.