Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is very simple to prepare yet delicious. It started off as a way to use up 1kg of mushrooms which were starting to go soft and ended up as a favourite dish. Think of it as shepherd's pie with mushrooms instead of meat.
- 1 kg mushroom
- 1 large onion
- 250 ml gravy (instant) or 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 (100 g) packet mashed potatoes
- 50 g cheddar cheese (grated)
- Slice the mushrooms into small pieces and fry them in a covered pan until soft.
- Cut the onion in small pieces and fry it, adding water to prevent drying.
- Prepare the stock or gravy - I used instant gravy granules (Bisto onion gravy) but other varieties can be used.
- Mix all these together and spread evenly in an oven dish.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes - instant works juse fine - and spread it evenly over the surface of the other ingredients.
- Spread some grated cheddar over the top - this gives it a great colour as well as adding flavour.
- Finally, pop it in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the surface has a rich red-gold colour.