Recipe by windhorse23
This is from the original Moosewood Cookbook. It's a bit of a production but it's so worth it. I make it for special occasions and potlucks.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
Just got the Moosewood cookbook from the library yesterday. When I ate meat, moussaka was one of my favorite dishes, so I was hopeful with this recipe. It is a lot of work, and takes a while to make, but that is to be expected with all moussaka recipes. In the end, we liked this recipe, but did not love it. My favorite moussaka recipe on Food.com is one by evelyn/athens, #59130. Maybe I would modify the Moosewood recipe next time to include kalamata olives in the tomato sauce and kasseri cheese, in addition to parmsan, for the topping.
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- freshly grated pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 4 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt the eggplant lightly and bake on an oiled cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Saute the mushrooms in the 3 tbps. of butter along with the onions and garlic.
- Add the tomato paste, parsley, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and wine. Simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the bread crumbs, parmesan and beaten eggs. Remove from heat.
- Make a white sauce. Melt the 1/2 cup of butter over a low flame. Whisk in the flour. Then whisk in the milk. Keep whisking until thick.
- Beat in the egg yolks.
- Butter a large casserole dish. Cover the bottom with eggplant slices, then half the mushroom sauce. Add remaining eggplant and cover with remaining mushroom sauce. Top with white sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and extra grated cheese if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.