Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Source unknown, recipe was passed on to me years ago by a friend. It is full of flavour , easy to prepare, frequently used for Sunday breakfast, everybody loves it.
- 4 large brown button mushrooms (3 or 4 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- knorr aromat seasoning (if unavailable use garlic salt , onion salt, and msg) or maggi fondor seasoning (if unavailable use garlic salt , onion salt, and msg)
- lemon pepper
- dried oregano
- 250 g low fat cottage cheese, creamed with
- 1 dash oregano, added
- 8 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- lemon pepper
- fondor seasoning or aromat seasoning
- 250 g cheese, grated (gouda, cheddar or similar)
- 4 slices toast
- Rinse and pat dry mushrooms, remove stalks, put upside down on baking tray or ovenproof dish and season.
- Put a little butter on each and cook at 220°C/ 450°F in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Fry the bacon and onion then mix with the cottage cheese and season to taste.
- Place each mushroom on a slice of buttered toast, gills up and fill with the cottage cheese mixture forming a mound (the mountain!). Cover with the grated cheese, dust with cayenne pepper or paprika and place under the grill (broiler) till cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve as is or with a salad.
I am still eating this as I type. My family is having chicken burritos for dinner tonight. I am not a burritos fan. I have been wanting to try this for months. I rarely give five stars but this is to die for. I used low fat cottage cheese and low fat tasty cheese. And I didnt put the mushrooms on toast I served them as is. The flavor is amazing. I cannot recommend this recipe highly enough. I think I might make it for everyone for lunch tommorow. This would have to be one of the best recipes on zaar[in my opinion]. yum oh!!. Bella